Sunday, July 22, 2012

Sibling Rivalry

 Thirty-four years ago today, Marnie Huckaby graced this world with her presence. I am pretty sure she would tell you that times were simpler back then. But in 1981, the worst thing to ever happen to my sister occurred. I was born. She had just shy of three years as the only child, and I know there were days she wished it would have gone back to that. I am not going to say that my sister and I never got along. There were some days in there where we were just fine. Pairing a Cancer on the cusp of a Leo with a Gemini sure didn't help the equation, but my parents were never believers in astrology and therefore did not take our charts into consideration when they were trying to conceive.
For the last ten years, our relationship is probably the best its ever been since my mother caught us in her kitchen playing with Tupperware on our heads. Maybe it took some growing up to see what we couldn't as children. Maybe distance healed old wounds and now we can finally bridge a gap of understanding. Maybe this is one of life's great mysteries that will never be explained. Or maybe I am just less of a pain in the ass.  Whatever the answer, I am here to share some of the loving memories I have of my sister.

 1.) When I was about to be born, my parents sat down with my sister and asked her what she thought my name should be. Great deliberation was taken on her part. After a grueling five seconds, she responded with Nina Tuna if I was a girl and Television if I was a boy. Yesterday my mother said she thought my sister was clairvoyant in her youth because Television would have been a pretty accurate name for me. Virginia Huckaby, being the reason for my therapy bills since 1988.


2.) When we were younger, my parents had us do all the same activities. Band, choir, dance, karate. We were pretty well rounded kids. Dance was the only activity that produced some pretty embarrassing pictures. I think at one time we were both sporting a mullet, but cannot be confirmed due to the hiding of said photographic evidence. However, I do remember my sister breaking her foot in karate, ending our martial arts career in one kick. When I look back on this, it was a actually a good thing it ended when it did, and I have to wonder if my sister planned this all along.
3.) The two movies I quote that only my sister ever gets is A Few Good Men and The Cutting Edge. It surprises me to this day how much I quote those movies and the only line people remember is "Toe-pick." Ever time I say "Jesus Christ Cathy, you're in the NAVY for crying out loud," I always expect to hear my sister chime in with "nobody likes her very much."
4.) When my sister first got her car, my parents had put in a 12 disc CD changer for her. Since this was also the year she started driving me to school, I cannot hear certain albums without thinking of driving in my sisters little Toyota Carola. This is also proof that my sister and I are eclectic in our musical tastes:
Alanis Morissette Jagged Little Pill
Snoop Dogg  Doggie Style
Weezer The Blue Album
Eazy-E Eazy-Does-It
The Presidents of the United States of America Self Title
Sublime 40 Ounces to Freedom
Joan Osbourne Relish
The Fugees The Score
Prince Purple Rain
Everclear Sparkle and Fade
Natalie Merchant Tigerlily
Garth Brooks No Fences

5.) About three years ago, I went to visit my family in Charlotte and got to meet one of the cutest little kids I know. I remember my sister handing him over to me to hold and this little hand started playing with my facial hair.
Five minutes later, he was asleep on my chest, and he stayed there for an hour, taking a nap.
It was in that moment that my Grinch heart had grown three sizes, and my nephew would always be my "Little Buddy." I remember thinking to myself, my sister couldn't have done any better then this. Two years later, "Little Buddy the Sequel" was born.
I don't love one nephew more then the other. However, I do find it rather poetic that my sister's youngest boy is a Gemini and acts just like his Uncle Topher..
There are many things I have to thank my sister for. My quick wit. My ability to match clothing. My appreciation for all kinds of music. But above all else, making me the happiest Uncle in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment