Friday, July 27, 2012

Bye Bye Mr. Pasta Bowl Guy

Today is my last day working for the Olive Garden. Almost two months ago, I turned 31 and realized that 13 years of my life is enough to give to the food industry. Ultimately, I did not spend four years to get a degree in psychology to be a manager at Olive Garden. Although I have seen my fair share of bad times at the OG, I can't help but look back on the fond memories that I have, the relationships that have formed, and all the calories I gained from their delicious yet fattening food.

For those of you who have never worked for the Garden of Olives, allow me to impart some knowledge that I feel everyone should know:

1.) There is no such thing as fettuccine sauce. Fettuccine is a pasta, not a sauce. Alfredo is the sauce most commonly associated with fettuccine. There. You have just learned what 50% of the population did not. It's all down hill from here.

2.) Stop pronouncing Italian words phonetically. It is not pronounced fag-e-oli. Minestrone is not called mine stron.

3.) If you order Endless Soup and Salad, this does not make you an easy customer. In fact, it is the exact opposite. OG fun fact:  the servers make your soups and salads, unlike all the other food that comes from the kitchen. Modifying your salad and soup only makes their life harder, and isn't very gratifying when you leave a dollar as a tip for the eight bowls of soup they brought you.

4.) We do not serve day old bread. All of our bread is toasted right before it is sent out to the tables. If you have received a "hard" breadstick (gigitty), it's because it was left in the oven a little longer then normal.

5.) Olive Garden does not carry blue cheese dressing. They have never carried blue cheese dressing. They have always had Italian dressing, after all, they are an Italian restaurant. Here is a list of commonly asked for things that Olive Garden does not carry:
Thousand Island Dressing
Hamburgers
Chips and Salsa
Pickles
Jalapenos
Tapitio
Enchiladas
Potato Salad
Horseradish
Crackers
Grilled Cheese
Chopsticks
Ham and Pineapple Pizza
Root Beer
Chicken Noodle Soup
Clam Chowder
Chili
Breakfast
And my personal favorite . . . . schrimps

6.) Olive Garden did not create Moscato. It's been around for many years, and is available in all the classy wine places like Stater Brothers and Wal-Mart.

7.) You are not fooling anyone by sharing an all you can eat item. Next time you do this, just remember your server is probably talking smack about you with their buddies in the kitchen.

8.) Salad is per-person, not just for the table like the bread. Olive Garden just serves it in a big bowl or as they like to call it, family style.

9.) The portion sizes did not get smaller. If you are eating at Olive Garden before 4pm, you are eating a lunch portion.

10.) If you happen to be dining at the Moreno Valley location, treat these people with respect. It's true what they say on the commercials, "When you're here, you're family." These people have been my family for the last six years. Some I trained how to be extraordinary at their job. Some helped me through some difficult times. And even though I will no longer be working with them, they will always have a special place in my heart. They may not be able to call you an asshole. But I can. Sometimes in a blog (Hi Troy).

I'm not gonna lie, it's hard leaving the Olive Garden. Even as I was writing this, I started missing everyone I work, or rather worked, with. But I just got an email that sums it up the best:

Hi Toph-
Just wanted to let you know that I'm proud of you for making a decision to leave Olive Garden.  Not that I have anything against the OG. :)
The reason I'm proud is that most people wait to get fired or offered another job, and basically let life happen to them.  It's in the moments when we choose something for ourselves and make our own decisions that we truly set the course for our lives. That's why I'm proud and will continue to support you on your job search. 
I hope that your day is filled with an amazing amount of love and gratitude for the people and experiences that the job has offered you. 
Lets hang next week. 
XO
Les
. . . . . Damn Scorpios. Always trying to make me cry. :-)

1 comment: