Saturday, July 7, 2012

8 Years of Cheese

Note from the blogger-
Today's blog is a little mushy, but was really only intended for one person. If you skip it and choose to move on, I completely understand. However, if you choose to stick around and read it, I applaud you for your efforts and promise to make it up to you in the next installment. Thank you for all your cooperation.

Being a Gemini, I don't fear change. I welcome it into my life like a long lost friend who hit me up on Facebook out of the blue. 8 years ago today I was that 23 year old who thought he had everything figured out. I was working at the Cask n Cleaver, just so I could finish school. I was living by myself in a tiny one bedroom apartment. But more importantly, I made one decision that has changed my life forever, I started wearing underwear . . . and I began dating Jason.
(Year One in Hawaii)
If you would have told me 8 years ago that I would still be attached to Jason today, I would have laughed so hard I may have literally "laughed my ass off" from the calorie burn. It's not that I didn't want to be in a relationship with Jason. It is more that I was a different person back then. So, as an Ode to Jay, here are the things that have changed because of our relationship.
(Year Two in Alaska)
1.) I do not fear commitment. A Gemini interprets commitment as chains that drag you down. Every relationship I had previously been in had an escape route or some highly elaborate mental plan of how to exit with the least amount of damage. Seriously. I used someones lack of interest for Buffy as a means to terminate the relationship. I was so bad, I refused to stay over at peoples houses because I feared waking up in a situation similar to Geralad's Game.Over the years, I have converted it from trying to reason my way out of a relationship to finding reasons why I should stay and work it out.
(Year Three at My CBU Graduation)
2.) I have become a planner. Ask anyone of my friends 8 years ago what they hated most about me and they would tell you my "flakiness." Ask them if I have gotten better over the years, they will say, "some" . . . because my friends are assholes. The anal-retentive person that is Jason has now got me to a point where I plan and schedule things on my phone with built in reminders so I don't forget. I use it so much that Siri is like the third person in my relationship. (Are you getting this Rod? Scorpios are worse then an Aquarius in regards to scheduling. You have been warned.)
(Year Four at Red Sox Game)
3.) I have more patience. I have never, nor will I ever, claim this as one of my virtues. I can't even be patient long enough to surprise people with gifts. One of my biggest pet peeves is having to repeat myself, which I am told is due to a lack of patience. Thankfully Jason has taught me to endure situations enough into fooling people that I am a normal human being. ;-)
(Year Five at The Fish's)
4.) I'm cleaner. I won't say I was messy, although my mother would tell you that I was the biggest slob she knew. I use to describe myself as "not being apposed to clutter," instead of messy. This was one of the first things I changed while dating Jay. After entering a relationship with Monica Gellar the sequel, there were a lot of habits that I needed to break. To this day I get yelled at for not changing the toilet paper roll. Its almost like I'm doing it on purpose . . . .
(Year Six at Club 33)
5.) I procrastinate less. In the early 2000's, I was contacted by Websters Dictionary because they wanted to do a photo shoot of me for their section on procrastination. It's not that it was bad, it's that it was SO BAD, I never did anything until the last minute. I wouldn't even take a shidoobie until I felt it was absolutely dire and could not be avoided any longer. Am I saying I don't procrastinate anymore? No. That will stop the same day as my sarcasm. But I do admit to being way better at not waiting until the last minute.
(Year Seven at Comic Con with Mindy Sterling)
Looking back on the last 8 years, a lot has changed. Friends have come and gone. Fads have been in and right back out again. But all the important people and things still remain. And the one I am thankful for the most has been standing beside me the whole time. He has taught me how to be a better partner, and I'd like to think I taught him how to have more fun. If I look back and think about anything I would want to change, my mind draws a blank. Even the bad times helped strengthen our relationship and have taught me valuable life lessons. I am not saying that I have the prefect relationship. There are days I look at my weapon wall and think which one will I use to kill him? Last week it was the mace from Kill Bill. This week its the crossbow he wanted but never used. It feels oddly poetic. Good thing I'm more patient . . . right?
(Year Eight at Birthday Sushi)


No comments:

Post a Comment