Thursday, September 20, 2012

Vacation: Alaska Edition Chapter 4: Let the Games Begin

Vacation: Alaska Edition

Chapter 4: Let the Games Begin

One of my favorite things on a cruise ship besides the food (I'm such a fatty) are the games they have to entertain you. They mostly consist of trivia and activities that have some way of bringing passengers together. I like to participate because I find most of the games rather enjoyable, thanks in large part to the fact that i usually win. I know what you're thinking, that's such a Troy thing to say. I am not an extremely competitive person. That twin only comes out in two occasions. 1.) If I am playing a certain game (ie Encore and Cranium). 2.) I have the opportunity to lay some smack down on a extremely competitive person. Being on a cruise ship, their are a lot of people that fall into the last category, and I just can't help myself sometimes.

We tried to win some of the trivia games, but good lord they asked some out there questions. They had the standard pop culture questions like "In Peter Pan, what was Wendy's last name" or "What is the fastest sea mammal?" (I would like to tell you that I knew the answer to this because I am brilliant, but in reality its because I went to Sea World a lot when I was a kid.) Then there were the questions that I like to call the, are you kidding me questions. Here are my top 5 questions they asked:

1.) How long does it take light from the sun to reach earth?

2.) What animal is nicknamed the Sea Mosquito?

3.) Who got the most medals in the first Olympics?

4.) What country produces the most cheese?

5.) What snack food was invented in 3000 B.C.?

Where do people come up with these questions? And the crazy thing is, there were old people on this ship that actually got the answers. For those of you playing at home, and don't know about this new invention called Google, here are the answers to the previous questions.

1.) 8 minutes
2.) Jellyfish
3.) USA
4.) USA
5.) Popcorn

Needless to say, we did not score big in the trivia on this ship. Nor did we succeed in The Liars Gameshow, where three people are given a word and provide a definition, and you have to figure out who is telling the truth. We probably would have done excellent if they hadn't used words like HABOOB and PILOERECTION. Yes, you are reading those correctly. All my answers were sexual . . . and I was wrong. I guess I just have a dirty mind. But your mind went there too, and that is why we are friends.

There were three games that we did really well in. First off was the Hat Dance. Think of musical chairs with hats. One person calls out a number, and based on the number called is the action that you have to do. So the basis of this game is to listen to somebody and respond to the number stated. Who in our party is the one to play? Closed Captioning himself, Wayne Colby, JR. The best part, the little shit won. We have no clue how he did it. Dumb luck? Act of God? Fluke accident? All I can tell you is that I fell on the ground laughing so hard from watching him play this game . . . and so did the Cruise Directing Staff. I think he became their favorite passenger.

Then came the "BANG Game." (Please hold your gigitties till the end) Basically it goes like this: everyone stands in a circle around one person in the middle with a finger gun. They point their finger gun at someone and shout "BANG," and that person ducks while the people on their right and left shoot each other. Slowest person is out. And if you shoot out of turn, its called sniping and you're out. Weird game, I know. The majority of our party played the BANG Game, and yours truly ended up winning. I don't know how I won because I have to tell you, in the second to last round I was laughing so hard I could barely focus. Here is a direct quote from the Cruise Director running the game: "So here's how this is gonna go. If I bang you, you two bang each other. If I bang you, you two bang each other. And if I bang you, then you two bang each other. And if I have to repeat that, I am going to bang myself." (Now you can gigitty.)

Then came the moment we had been waiting for. Movie and TV Show themes. As soon as I read that they were going to do this game, I turned to Jason and said, "That prize is ours." I am not the best person when it comes to movie and tv trivia, but I am the person that my friends won't play a game with me if that is the concept.

To say we dominated, is an understatement. Out of 24 questions, we got all 24 correct. The second place team had only 18. Six gold medals and a bottle of cheap champagne were given to us for a job well done. Several people called us freaks while we were playing the game because not only did we know what songs they played, we also knew the words. Here's a Topher fun fact. Remember the Shave and a Haircut scene from Who Framed Roger Rabbit, where Roger goes crazy because he can't resist the urge to sing out "Two Bits"? That's me. Only my song is the theme to Growing Pains. If you walk up to me and sang, "Show me that smile again," I have to keep singing the damn song. It's like my Kryptonite.

For those of you wondering if you could have taken us, here were the 24 movie and tv themes they played:
1.) Star Wars
2.) Who's the Boss
3.) Pirates of the Carribean
4.) Beverley Hillbillies
5.) Dirty Dancing
6.) Cheers
7.) E.T.
8.) The Muppet Show
9.) Superman
10.) MASH
11.) Raiders of the Lost Ark
12.) Golden Girls
13.) Schindler's List
14.) The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
15.) Jurassic Park
16.) Sesame Street
17.) Home Alone
18.) Different Strokes
19.) FAME
20.) Andy Griffith Show
21.) Free Willy
22.) Growing Pains
23.) Close Encounters of the Third Kind
24.) The Jeffersons

I would tell you about the karaoke contest, but I promised someone else that they could do it instead. Tune in tomorrow where I will be having a guest blogger tell you all about the "Princess Popstars."

1 comment: