Monday, April 23, 2012

Girl, please!

It will come as no surprise to anyone that knows me that every now and again I have what I lovingly refer to as "A Girl Moment." Topher's Dictionary defines “A Girl Moment” as an instance where a grown man will respond to something much like a woman would. If this concept is perplexing to you, allow me to give you two recent real life examples.

Girl Moment #1: I was driving in my car a few weeks ago, listening to music from my new iPhone when shuffle had produced "Light My Candle" from the hit Broadway show, Rent. In case you didn't realize, musicals are like sports to the gays. Immediately my mood went from sour to overjoyed and I burst into song with the first line: "What'd you forget?" and turned to the seat next to me expecting my best friend Stephanie to follow up with her line, since this is one of our patented karaoke duets. Much to my dismay, Stephanie was nowhere to be found. Yes, in the explosion of raw musical emotion I had forgotten that I was (gasp) driving in my car by myself. I was not only surprised that Stephanie wasn’t there, I was genuinely sad about it. Girl moment, indeed.

Girl Moment #2: A few weeks ago I was browsing iTunes to check out all the latest music that had been added when I came across the soundtrack to the new Broadway smash, "Newsies." (Btw,I have no evidence that this is indeed a "smash," but nothing can tarnish my impression of this fantastic work of art). Not knowing that this was a new musical, I went to the only person that would care about this as much as I would, my friend Megan. Since I hadn't spoken to Megan in quite some time, I decided to be cute in my message to her on Facebook: "I may have to cancel my subscription to Behind the Times because I was just browsing iTunes and saw that they made a Broadway musical to Newsies. We SOOOOOOO have to go to this. It could be Megan and Topher's Musical Reunion." I looked on my Megan's wall the next day to see if she had commented on my post only to find that it had been deleted. Feeling hurt and betrayed I sent her a direct message asking her if we had "broken up." Several minutes later I got a confused reply and the following interaction took place over Facebook:

Megan: hey! what? why? I read your blog the other day
Me: Okay, I was getting concerned, ‘cause I messaged you a couple times and never heard back from you
Megan: you did? I don' think I got it
Me; I thought I may have done something wrong and was about to sacrifice something on the alter of friendship to win you back
Megan: sometimes I get notifications on my phone and then only see messages I already read
Me: Did you get my post about Newsies on Broadway?
Megan: NO! are we going?
Me: LOL this makes me feel WAAAYYYY better
Megan: awwww, that's hilar! I'm sorry I didn't see that, I wonder where it went!
Me:(Wrote my original post)
Megan:  I saw them perform on the Today show or something and it looked cheesy of course but maybe sort of awesome
Me: I was actually going to blog about this weekend and talk about how my love for Newsies is one of the ways I know I am gay, but it was totally fine because you love it too and accept me for all of my gaydom
Megan: hahahaha, how could I ever cast anyone out for that?! I have a gay bff here at work that loves Newsies too, he's the one that sent me the Today Show clip
This is why I love Megan. She accepts me for my Girl Moments . . . and will see Newsies on Broadway with me. 

Now if only I can get Stephanie to stay in my Civic and stop missing her lines...

No comments:

Post a Comment