Thursday, April 19, 2012

Tales of the Zodiac, part 1

I am not one of those people that guides my everyday life in accordance to the zodiac. Horoscopes fall between Unicorns and Kim Kardashian's talent in the make believe spectrum. But, I will give credence to the behavioral attributes of those born under their sign. Take me for example. I am the poster child of a Gemini. Thoughtful and magnetic, yet flighty and a plotter. This is all me wrapped up in a fun (yet sometimes annoying) bow.

Because of my belief in zodiac behaviors, I tend to not surround myself with certain signs. Mainly, Cancers and Capricorns. Some of you may be shocked to your core by reading this previous statement (and I am betting its because you are one of the signs that was previously mentioned). But never fear, gentle reader, I am here today to admit something to you: I was wrong.

My error in judgement was pointed out to me by none other then my best friend Lesley. This all started a few months ago when she had decided to date a Capricorn. Immediately upon discovery of her dating intentions, I tried to persuade her against it. Even though Capricorns can be those humorous, ambitious and practical people; Its the slow moving, patient, and reserved sides of them that irritate me to no avail.

Not allowing me to negativity sway her, Lesley put on her power point presentation of why my view on Capricorns may be over exaggerated with three examples.

Capricorn #1: Lesley's sister. Our first encounter was on a trip to Wild Rivers Waterpark. I was sitting in the back of her van as we coasted along the freeway when "Dear God," by XTC came on the radio. My ears perked up because I am a fan of this song. Within five seconds, Lesley's sister had changed the station and rebuked me for liking such a "blasphemic pieces of trash." Normally I would have written someone off for this, yet a year later we had found a common ground. That ground, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Since then we have come to appreciate each others differences and cling to our similarities. LESLEY'S POINT: I just need to find common ground.

Capricorn #2: Lesley's friend Sam. I have to be honest and say that I would never have picked Sam out of a Capricorn line up. Every time I look at Sam I see a bad ass chick with a heart of gold that will stomp you into the ground over Friends trivia. She is an alpha female, to say the least, and thus had my attention from day one. LESLEY'S POINT: If I didn't know they were a Capricorn, I would like them.

Then came her final point. Capricorn #3: Rod. My first introduction to Rod (I tried rewriting that sentence, and it sounds bad no matter how you write it) was at my St. Patrick's Day party. At this point I was trying to give Capricorns the benefit of the doubt. As a sign of good faith, I let Rod give the first toast of the night. Having been put on the spot, he blurted out "to good health." Normally I would have rolled my eyes at this, but I saw the mental head slap that he gave himself and decided to let it go. Since that moment, little by little, his quirky attributes were not annoying, but rather intriguing. I found myself gradually letting go of my disdain for Capricorns. It may have been the similar interest in music that broke through my cold exterior. Maybe it was his inappropriate humor that made me look past my stubbornness. But the moment he lifted his shirt over his head to do his Cornholio impression, I knew the inevitable had happened.I had made a friend for life, and that friend was a Capricorn.

Some of you may not appreciate today's post. Others may not have found it as funny. But there is one person reading this in his "totally gay looking" apartment, realizing he did the unthinkable. He made me a believer in Capricorns.

No comments:

Post a Comment